Sunday 1 June 2014

Tales of the Riverbank

So on Saturday I had this daft idea that I needed to get some river-watching under my belt. I had a flash of inspiration and recalled that a few years ago I had some twitchers luck whilst ambling along the Severn somewhere around Newnham.
It took me about an hour to locate the actual spot (planning is everything). It was the footpath leading from the village of Awre.
'Twas a very dull day so I wasn't expecting to come back with any great photographs but that was the least of my worries.
This was clearly a path that was not well trodden. The grass was a little less than waist height in some parts and wet. Really wet. Trouser soaking, boot leaking, sock squelching wet.
Ah well, all part of the adventure.
Any birds?
Well a few.
Good numbers of Reed Buntings and Sylarks.
Male reed bunting

Skylark
A Little Egret flew by and then I spooked two Oystercatchers who flew out into the river.
Oystercatchers
Little Egret
A sizeable flock of Linnets passed over and one did me the service of pausing atop a bush for a while enabling me to fire off a few photos. The exposure is poor as I was shooting towards the sky but I've had worse photos.

Linnet

Other birds seen included: Reed Warbler, a Hobby and a Green Woodpecker



No comments:

Post a Comment