Sunday 16 June 2013

A Father's Day Treat

So I said to my daughter, "C'mon, it's Father's Day. You can come birdwatching with me". And to my suprise she came. I thought that she did a marvellous job keeping her obvious disappointment in check.
"You can be my lucky Charm", I said, "I could do with some good luck".
It was raining lightly when we arrived (no change there then) but every now and again the sun struggled to peek out. We made straight for the hide, making enough noise to scare off a gaggle of Mallards and 2 Tufted Ducks in the process.
There was plently of birdsong to be heard. Blackbirds, Robins, a Wren, a Whitethroat, at least 4 Chiffchaff and a Song Thrush. We also saw 4 Reed Warblers, 2 Stock Dove, 4 House Martins, 6 Swallows, 4 Long-tailed Tits, a Jay, a Moorhen and 2 Coot.
We then watched a Lesser Black-backed Gull and a Carrion Crow team up to mob a Buzzard. An extraordinary sight and something I have not seen before.
However, my daughter decided that the "cute" lambs were far more deserving of a photograph than any bird life and she proceeded to snap away happily at the rather gormless looking ruminants staring at us through the hide windows:
Not a bird
A butterfly landed just next to the hide. I got a couple of shots before it flew off again. Later examination of the photograph suggested that this was a female Green-veined White.
Green-veined White
Just as we were about to leave I caught sight of a small bird alighting in a tree on the opposite side of the main pond. Could it be? Could it really be? Yes, it was...... a Spotted Flycatcher, flitting back and forth from it's perch in typical flycatching mode.
(Too far away for a photo unfortunatley)
I said to my daughter, "I told you. You are a lucky charm!"
"Look at that funny sheep with the wonky teeth, Dad", she replied.
Ah well, I consoled myself with the fact that my patch list now stood at a respectable 60.


2 comments:

  1. Hartpury is catching up on the number of species with Tirley right now ,I have started to look over my shoulder now ,got off to a flier now am stalling on 80 , great blog Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good job you mentioned that mark. It's 60 not 70! Typo error or wishful thinking! Either way, I don't think I'll be catching you anytime soon.

      Delete