Thursday 6 November 2014

Bar Heads and Hybrids

I was dissapointed that I didn't get any shots of the Bar Headed Goose at Ashleworth Ham yesterday, due to the appalling weather conditions, so I took another trip down there this morning for a second attempt.
As luck would have it he was still there, mingling with a large flock of Canada (c650) and Greylag (c40) geese.
That said, the bird was still a good way off from the hide so no luck with a detailed close-up.
He's in there somewhere!

There he is!

"What are you looking at chum?"
As I was leaving I noticed half a dozen odd looking geese waddling to the waters edge. I had a brief moment of knee trembling excitement, imagining that I had discovered some rare migrants before it dawned on me that these were simply hybrids. Yes indeed, here was a little family of Canlags (apparently the recognised name for Canada X Greylag hybrids).
Canlags!
Now then, the question is: can I add them to my Year list? Oh, go on then.

No comments:

Post a Comment