Tuesday 13 January 2015

Get Shorty!

I've recently taken on a new role at work which means I am out in the car most days travelling the length and breadth of Gloucestershire.
Today took me to Winchcombe, and I thought, "That's quite close to Hawling. Short-Eared Owl territory". Well, it would be rude not to!
I arrived at the now well publicised site at around 3pm. I could see an owl flying low and gracefully around the field as I pulled up.
Ker-ching!
There were already a couple of other birders on site and even though the weather was against us - dark, cloudy and more than a little windy, we enjoyed some great views.
I counted 3 Short Eared Owls and a Barn Owl (who was coming under attack from the Shorties whenever it made a kill).
Shorty coming in to land
The light was poor and the birds didn't really get close enough for a great shot but here's a couple of (heavily cropped) photos that I managed to fire off.


To be honest, I was happy just to get any picture. It was just a thrill and privilege to watch these magnificent birds.
Return visit booked!


No comments:

Post a Comment