Sunday 11 January 2015

Out with the Old, In with the New

I can't believe that I haven't posted since November.
It's not like I haven't been birdwatching. I've just been too damn busy or too bloody lazy to post.

No matter,
New year. New start.
A belated seasonal greetings to all my (3) readers

So, where are we?
Well it's January 11th and my year list stands at 55. That's not the patch list mind you - just my County list.
Not bad but I'm not sure that I want to stick my neck out and sign up for the Gloucester 200 Club yet.

The highlight so far (at least until today) has to be the Dartford Warbler in Cheltenham. What a beauty!
I've only managed 3 trips to the Orchard Centre so far, the best birds being: 15 Teal, 7 Canada Geese, 4 Green Woodpeckers, over 20 Snipe, 2 Bullfinches, 6 Reed Buntings and a steady flow of Fieldfare, Redwings and Mistle Thrushes.
Reed Bunting

I did spend sometime watching a rather handsome Red Fox last week. I couldn't get close enough for any good photos but managed to get a couple of passable shots:



So, about today:
After a quiet but enjoyable visit to the Orchard Centre I had a walk along Mill Lane in Staunton & Corse. There's a large stubble field along the lane which is always good for the odd Yellowhammer.
The odd one?
The hedgerows were full of them - I estimated that there were at least 60. Certainly the most that I have ever seen. They were amongst a larger flock of mixed finches (mainly Chaffinches and some Greenfinches) and around 30 Reed Buntings. To say that I was gobsmacked was an understatement! I'm guessing that this is some kind of local record. No doubt someone will let me know.
Now then...... that New Year's Resolution?
I MUST update my Blog more regularly. ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment