Wednesday 8 October 2014

All Hail the Fisher King

So, I'd caught elusive glimpses of the little fella on a couple of previous occasions but he was always too fast for a photograph.
Patience is a virtue though.
On the morning of the 5th October a Kingfisher flew past the hide, pausing momentarily to hover above the reed bed. I managed a shot. Not a great one but I was chuffed I got a photo at last:
First photo of the Kingfisher

I went away feeling reasonably pleased with myself but not quite satisfied with the shots I had got.
I returned to the hide late afternoon in the hope that the bird might return. It had clouded over however and the light was failing so if I was to get anything decent he better turn up soon.
As if on cue, I heard the unmistakable call of a Kingfisher and he alighted on ( a somewhat strategically placed) stick on the banks of the pond in front of the hide.
Bingo!
I got a little snap happy but these are the best of the bunch. Despite the poor lighting I'm actually reasonably satisfied!:


But of course, a photographer is never satisfied (or is that just me?).
I went back the following day as there was a bit of sunshine and I fancied the conditions were better if it came back again.
Once more I was treated to a marvelous display and the bird sat happily for plenty of photos.
It's interesting to note that the Kingfisher looks much greener in this session. This was probably the strong sunlight but I did wonder if it was a different bird. Young Kingfishers tend to be much greener in hue than the adults. On balance, it's likely to be the same bird - and a female too (red on the underside of beak) so I better stop calling it the "little fella":
Kingfisher with dragonfly larvae


I just found this - which kind of explains the colour variation: http://qi.com/infocloud/kingfishers

What a stunning bird though, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment