Tuesday 7 October 2014

Raptor Rapture

Well, October is getting off to a good start.
The 1st was a nice fine day. Glorious sunshine, no wind, lots of singing birds......... what more could the heart of man desire?
Not much happening around the hide (well, ok.... nice couple of Mute Swans) so I took a walk along the footpath leading to the fields behind Collier's Brook.
Mute Swan
A large flock of Meadow Pipits (35+) were lazily making their way up the hill only to be first bombarded by a Kestrel (who obviously decided these were a bit on the large side for dinner and moved on) and then by a Sparrowhawk.
I missed the Kestrel but got a couple of half decent shots of the Sparrowhawk:

Sparrowhawk
No sooner had the sparrowhawk moved on when a Buzzard made a low fly past, as if to say, "Never mind that pair of jokers, I'm King Raptor around these parts".  I didn't want to offend him so I took his photo too:
Buzzard
Well the thrill of all these airborne killers was getting too much for me. It's more excitement than a man of my age can stand for one day.
I made my way back along the footpath where 5 Chiffchaff had joined a group of 24 Long-tailed Tits to clear the hedgerow of bugs.
Not quite the same excitement of watching a hunting Sparrowhawk, but just take a look at the blood thirsty glint in this little chaps eye. It make your blood curdle..........
Long-tailed Tit





No comments:

Post a Comment