Tuesday 2 April 2013

Introduction

I've been toying with the idea of a "blog" for a while. 
I wanted it to be a record of my birding expeditions, but rather than just being random records of various trips I needed somehere to "centre" my log - a Local Patch, if you like.
After considering various sites I have settled on Hartpury Orchard Centre in Gloucestershire, about 5 miles from my home.
Why? Because no-one else seems to have discovered this wonderful place yet!
It's off the radar to most but I think it has the potential to be one of the best birding sites in Gloucestershire. Restoration of the ancient wetland meadows at the Orchard Centre began in 2008 and work is continuing. This gives it the feel of "early days" and I want to be here to see it grow and blossom.
http://www.tasteandexplore.com/cider-perry-centre.shtml

I've visited this "patch" around 10 times since last autumn but now intend to make these visits at least once a week now.
So far I have recorded 43 species of birds.
These are:

Blackbird   Blue Tit   Brambling  Bullfinch  Buzzard 
Canada Goose  Carrion Crow  Chaffinch  Chiffchaff   Coal Tit  Collared Dove Common Gull  Coot Cormorant
Dunnock
Fieldfare
Goldcrest  Great Spotted Woodpecker   Great Tit  Green Woodpecker  Grey Heron
Jackdaw  Jay

Long-tailed Tit
Magpie  Mallard  Mistle Thrush  Moorhen   Mute Swan 

Pheasant  Pied Wagtail 
Redwing  Robin  Red-legged Partridge
Snipe  Song Thrush  Sparrowhawk  Starling  Swallow
Teal  Tufted Duck
Woodpigeon  Wren



No comments:

Post a Comment