Friday 19 April 2013

You learn something new everyday

I made a late afternoon visit to the Orchard Centre today and I wasn't disappointed.
Today must be the first time that I haven't worn a jacket. "Huzzah!", I thought,  "It's summer".
In fact this was confirmed by the sight of four Swallows skimming over the meadows.
My patch list topped 50 today with the addition of Raven, Reed Bunting and Shoveler.
I was particularly pleased to see the magnificent raven croaking overhead.
Other birds, particularly ducks, seemed much scarcer today. Just a couple of Teal, a few Mallards, 2 Snipe, a Heron and a handful of singing Chiffchaffs.
The female Mute Swan was sitting alertly on the nest while the male was in full on territorial mode, harassing 3 Canada Geese who looked as though they were considering moving on somewhere for a quieter life!

However, the highlight of the day had to be the sight of a swimming Hare.  I saw a small animal dive into one of the ponds. My immediate thought was that it was a Muntjac Deer. I was shocked when it reached the other side of the water and then shot off through the long grass. Two more (somewhat drier) hares were waiting at the other side of the field for him. I never knew that hare could swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment