Sunday 28 April 2013

Will it ever get warmer?

Balancing the demands of work with birding and the weather is proving ever more difficult. My first visit here in over a week and it was cold, windy and rather...... British, I suppose.
I arrived at 5.30pm this evening and didn't expect to see much as the gale force winds had probably blown most of the birds into the next county.
What few birds were there appeared to be pairs: Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Canada Geese and 3 pairs of Mallards. The Teal appear to have moved on. Most of the smaller birds were sheltering in the hedgerows and several Chiffchaff were noticable by their distinct song.

Just when I thought I'd give up and go home, I had an unexpected windfall of "new to the patch" birds. Firstly a skulking Whitethroat in the hedgerow, followed swiftly by a Willow Warbler and then out of the blue a small flock (around 12) Lapwing cascaded across the sky and over the reedbeds.
So, patch list up to 56 and plenty of good weather to come! (fingers crossed).



No comments:

Post a Comment