Wednesday 1 May 2013

The first day of Summer

Apparently today is officialy the first day of summer, so as the sun was shining and the there was no hint of wind I thought the omens looked good.
In fact it was decidedly quiet for 7:30 in the morning! However the familar residents were in their usual positions: 2 Grey Herons, a pair of Mute Swans and the 3 Canada Geese. There were around 6 pairs of Mallards too. No sign of the ducklings I saw a few weeks back. Maybe the poor weather conditions took it's toll?
I spent the next hour or so by the reed beds trying to get a good photograph of a Reed Bunting. They were being extremely elusive today, refusing to climb to the top of the reeds and I had a devil of a job focusing the lens through the layers of stems. My best effort is below:
Other birds today included a Whitethroat, 2 Jays, a Greater Spotter Woodpecker, 2 Buzzards, a Stock Dove and 6 Chiffchaff.
A large Brown Hare bounded across my path as I made my way back to the hide.

No comments:

Post a Comment